Lion

Lion
My deviant art page :)

Friday, February 4, 2011

Storms, Irish and Pancakes

Gale force winds, terrifying. Almost got blown onto the road today O_o I was on my way to an Open Day at a college for PLCs (Post Leaving Cert.), for those (generally) who either don't wish to go to college or don't make  the points. It's my back up, just in case. It's a creative writing course because, surprise surprise, I adore creative writing. It's what I want to do with my life. It's my calling. In the meantime ('cause I'm just not good enough yet) I'm gonna study History and English. Unless I fail my LC, in which case Creative Writing course! Woot! I'm sure it'll be awesome, and it can lead to English in NUI Maynooth. So, it's a possibility.
How did I get onto that? Oh, right, the wind. It tried to KILL ME.

But, earlier today, I had to fill in a questionnaire type dealy for my Yearbook. Mostly funny questions. For example, one question was

Who (couple) will most likely end up married?
Almost everyone I know suggested two girls who (while being straight, to the best of my knowledge) are very close best friends and have declared themselves married. And many people said Hannah would be President of Ireland some day xD

My one was mainly just filled with obscure quotes, even more obscure songs and random facts. For example:
Where will you be in 10 years?
On Mars, with Rumbleroar. He's a lion - who can talk.

Theme song of your life at the moment?
Knuckleball Suite by Peter Mulvey (a song all about remembering a special place and time, filled with people who were a part of it. Reminded me of my school, which I'll be leaving soon T_T)

Favourite quotes/words of wisdom?
"When I rule the world I'll have SNAKES"
and
"Trains are beautiful wizards!" Just 'cause it's confusing xD
I suggested that Kim's words of wisdom be 'You think killing people will make them like you, but it doesn't. It just makes them dead.' Brilliant.

Anyway, that's just funny. They also asked my first year crush O_o I'm not going to TELL them that! Even if I could remember who they were (which I'm not sure I can, the years tend to blend together a little...) it would be mortifying. Why would I tell them that??? Apparently some people filled that in, though *shrugs* Some people are crazy.

Went to Hamlet last night. Surprisingly hilarious, but a slightly odd interpretation at times... For one, they went a bit Freudian with Hamlet and his mother, with Hamlet (during the closet scene) dry humping his mother's leg like a dog, as a classmate so eloquently put it. My English teacher was somewhat aghast at this phrasing (she said 'made sexual advances' may have been more fitting) but mostly we all agreed that that was really the only way you could accurately put it. Another weird factor was that Horatio was a woman... And no, not just being played by a woman, but was acknowledged in the play to BE a woman. Which added a strange new layer to Hamlet and Horatio's relationship... Then again, a friend of mine was convinced, even within the original version (with a male Horatio) that there was a little something there. Sexual tension, love - something.

My friends and I have strange conversations. Anyway, Ophelia's actress was fairly amazing. She had much more personality and fire than I envisioned her when reading the play - in which she seemed slightly pathetic as a woman, let's be honest. But this one was fab. She portrayed such confusion, and love, and anger and betrayal - beautiful. And her insanity scene - brilliant. She tore out her hair and handed it to people instead of flowers! Creepier, far more manic interpretation, in comparison to the slight whimsy of the original (or the impression I got from reading).

Hamlet, too, was far more manic, and less mopey, than I originally perceived. Very well done. I didn't think he was very good at the start, but he just got better and better. Very funny, especially when baffling Polonius.

I loved the way the play managed so well to make small, insignificant characters some of my favourites. Rosencrantz and Gildenstern - so very hilarious! I loved them.

My favourite though (which is odd, 'cause I hated him when reading the play) was Polonius. His actor was amazing, Very very funny, great presence - yet there was practically a Large Ham warning, in the way he entered a room. Brilliant. So oily and slimy and such a suck up, yet I loved him. The same actor, after Polonius had died, played the Comic Gravedigger, also brilliant.

It's weird, but almost all Shakespeare makes me think of Discworld (series by Terry Pratchett) at some point or other. The curse (and joy) of having read Wyrd Sisters (parody of Shakespeare, mainly Macbeth and Hamlet). But there was a gravedigger in Night Watch called Legitimate First (his mother was very proud...), who was reprimanded by Sergeant Colon:

"Stop that right now. You know you've been warned before. None of that 'comic gravedigger' stuff. It's not funny and it's not clever."

Just makes me laugh whenever I think about it during Hamlet. Oh dear... Best not write any of that on my Leaving Cert.... Wouldn't go down well.

IRISH ORAL:

It's tomorrow, folks. The shit is about to hit the fan. In fact, me writing all this crap is mostly just slightly-constructive (but not very) procrastination. That's right. You, my dear imaginary readers, are being used. I'm sorry. Sort of.
Oh well. I hate Irish much worse than I hate French. Ugh.
Is mise Cáit Ní ---, conas atá tú? Tá tuirse an domhain orm! Tá mé go holc!!
What's upsetting is that I actually love the IDEA of learning the ancient language of my country, that was stolen from us centuries ago yet never completely relinquished. It sounds romantic, no? I love the way the words sound, I love the history behind it, I love the language and it's connection to my country. I HATE exams!!! They kill everything. I hate Irish because it's hard, but it SHOULD be something I love. *sigh*
Is fuath liom Gaeilge (I hate Irish). Tá sé an-deacair.
Cáit is ainm dom - my name is Kate. Pronounced: Coyt (sort of...) iss a-nim dum. Just in case you were wondering, dear make-believe person.

Tomorrow I make Canadian-style pancakes following my exam. Because I'll need cheering up, and I love pancakes. They're my aunt's recipe, she's been living in Canada for the past... I dunno, 20 years? *shrugs* My cousins are Canadian, born there, but obviously half Irish. Their other half is genetically Indian, culturally from British Guiana (in South America). So, interesting blend there. So I get to have a healthy amount of jealousy for my favourite cousin (closest in my age while being the same gender) Priya, who has beautiful coffee coloured skin, exotic black hair and beautiful features. What do my genetics give me? Pale skin - ridiculously so, I burn, don't tan - and red hair. Oh the Irish... ugh. Why couldn't my dad have Indian blood? Aside from the fact that no Indians ever really lived in Ireland until recently... And, even now, not many.

How did I get this from 'pancakes'? I'm just chattering too much to distract myself. Ugh.
Pancakes: delicious. We have maple syrup from our trip to jolly old Canadia last summer. I'll have that. And maybe some nutella... mmm, chocolatey goodness....

OK, I think I should stop now. Rereading the Kite Runner for pretend revision (doing it for the LC, comparative studies - Kite Runner, Emma and Casablance, excellent choices - but just love that book and want to reread it). So beautiful...

"For you, a thousand times over"

No comments:

Post a Comment