Lion

Lion
My deviant art page :)

Monday, February 7, 2011

Harry Potter Fridge Logic - how much of a nerd am I?

OK, I've adored these books since I was six years of age and my brother read the Philosopher's Stone to me. He then refused to read the Chamber of Secrets to me (the third one wasn't even out then!) and so I had to read it myself. This was how I discovered that I actually loved reading. So this can all be blamed on my brother, really. Damn his hide... :P Nah, gotta love it.
But I've read the books over and over since then. I am a gigantic Harry Potter nerd. I know almost everything there is to know about the books (don't ask about the movies. Despise them).

Just now, I was reading the third HP book while I should have been studying (er... oops?) and I suddenly lrealised - didn't Dumbledore very DEFINITELY know about the tunnel  between Hogsmeade and Hogwarts through the Shrieking Shack? He planted the Womping Willow there and everything! So, when Sirius Black was on the loose, why didn't he think to block it or guard it? Sirius obviously knew about it... after whole 'trying to kill Snape' incident that Dumbledore tells Harry about in the first book!
The other passages is understandable, Dumbledore might not know about those, but why did he make it so easy for Sirius? He thought Sirius was guilty... I'm just confused.

Believe it or not, I never thought about this before. Maybe you did. I can be slow. F'rinstance, I didn't notice that the Mirror of Erised's mysterious writing around the frame was 'I show not your face but your heart's desire' backwards until a year or so ago. Hey, my defense is that I decided it was gibberish when I was six, not really an age for great deductive thinking, and then took it for granted when I was older, just skipping past the strange language. *shrugs*
Similar thing here. I just took it for granted that Dumbledore didn't know about all the secret passages. But he clearly did know about that one... Ugh. 10 year Fridge Logic.

For anyone who does not know what Fridge Logic is (a lot of people, probably... it's another Nerd Term :P) read this page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeLogic
For anyone who can't be bothered reading that, Fridge Logic is when something seems to make perfect sense, but later (for example, when you're down in the kitchen getting a midnight snack) you suddenly realise 'Hey! That doesn't make sense!' and you notice that there was a giant plot hole that you overlooked.
Fridge Brilliance is the opposite. Don't relevant enough to explain. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeBrilliance

WARNING: It is all too easy to get stuck on tvtropes. It's highly addictive, for all it's nerdy information. Yet one of the most intelligent websites I've read. Because of its nerd population. Particularly interesting if you do have a great love for books or movies. Or TV. Or anything, really.

Anyway: Any theories on the whole Harry Potter issue? Defense of ol' Dumbles? Do share.

No comments:

Post a Comment