Lion

Lion
My deviant art page :)

Sunday, February 6, 2011

English Exam

My English Paper 1 Mock is the day after tomorrow *gasp*.

I quite like English, though. I'm fairly good at it. I like Paper 1 especially. It's just comprehensions and a short story. Easy, and I love writing short stories. Great fun. Quite a bit of pressure on this one, though O_o

Paper 2 is on Wednesday. That's poetry (Eavan Boland, Robert Frost, W.B. Yeats, G.M. Hopkins, Emily Dickinson, William Wordsworth. They'll ask me about one of them, so I have to know all of them), for which I seriously need to memorise my damn quotes, Hamlet, for which I also need to learn my quotes, and the Comparatives Studies question, in which I must compare The Kiter Runner, Emma, and Casablanca. What fun.... I hate Paper 2. So much to remember...

POETRY

Robert Frost: Very pretty poetry, but can be a little depressing.... Mostly I like, because of excellent imagery and style, beautifully expressed emotions and interesting speculations ('Design', creepy O_o).

Eavan Boland: Sort of pretentious, but tells a good story, and I appreciate the Greek Mythological references. My opinion on her poetry varies greatly depending on my mood.

Yeats: Beautiful imagery, beautiful style, very structured and intelligent. On the other hand, he's rather judgmental and a bit of a snob.

Hopkins: Nice enough, a bit strange and manic. Over-zealous in his religion, perhaps. Yet I adore the poem 'The Windhover'. Beautiful.

Dickinson: Delightfully insane. Quite like her. Hard to learn, though... Gotta love those hyphens :P

Wordsworth: Flowery language, delight in life and the world around him, beautiful imagery and beautiful ideas. Lovely. Possibly says bad things about me that this is exactly what I like. Probably shows me to be a little naive.

Hamlet

The title character is a little... whiny. I know his father just died, I know he is being told to kill someone, I know everything is falling to shit. But.... I don't know, it just makes him a little unlikable. All the evidence we have that Hamlet is a great guy is many people telling us that he's a lovely person. But he's not showing it, to be honest. Also, it's supposed to be a deep flaw in his character that he procrastinates killing Claudius. I suppose one could take the view that if Hamlet had killed Claudius sooner, then most of the characters would still be alive. One the other hand - would it have been morally right? Revenge is not the same as justice. Justice must be seen. I would see Hamlet's inability (for most of the play, anyway...) as a virtue. And didn't we see what happened when Laertes went the other way? That, equally, led to many deaths, including his own.
Also, Ophelia: I hate her. She's rather weak, and simpering. She's an awful female character, as is Gertrude. They're incredibly pathetic. Though the play I saw recently did include a slightly more ballsy, less whiny, more insane Ophelia than I envisioned from watching, so there you go. You never can tell.
In a far less intelligent analysis, I kind of like Claudius because he's just so much like Scar, from The Lion King. Because Hamlet is Simba. Everyone knows that :D Ophelia is Nala, though she wishes she were that cool. Does that mean the Hyena's are Rosencrantz and Gildenstern? Hmm...

And these are the things I think about. Scary insight, no?

Quote: "There is something rotten in Denmark, and it's that piss-poor attitude of his!"
"He has been rather hard to deal with lately..."
"Ophelia, he stabbed your dad through a curtain!"
~ Sassy Gay Friend: Hamlet -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnvgq8STMGM

"Hey! Hamlet... is like a Ham Omelette!" ~ A friend of mine. Gotta love her ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment