Lion

Lion
My deviant art page :)

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Guitar

Enough of depressing things! Time for a little personal philosophy.

Is music not the most wondrous of human creations? Well, along with storytelling and art. These are the things that make us human. Our imaginations and interpretations of sounds and expression are what makes us different. Our intelligence has evolved to the point that we know longer just think about what is, but what could be.

It is the ability to ponder what exists outside of our little world that makes us truly special. We wonder if there is a God - and interesting question, one that has seemingly been asked for many thousands of years. Many different cultures, very diverse in methods of living and surroundings, often come to the conclusion that something else exists. That we are not alone. They wonder how we have been created, how we should live, what will happen in the future. Has any other creature on this earth wondered such things? Doubtful...

But this leads to many of the most beautiful and awful things, such as love, hate, revenge, empathy, understanding, kindness. Creative cruelty. War.

But it also creates music, emotions and stories expressed through sounds. It's beautiful and wonderful.

I was playing guitar a lot today, after my oral. I'm not very good. Pretty bad, actually. But it makes me feel... whole. Not always happy, 'cause I might be singing a sad song, but at peace. My fingers are sore now, though xD But I love it so much. Wish I could play the piano. Never had the patience though. Ah well.

Do y'know what's an awesome instrument? Violin. It'd be amazing to be able to play the violin. It's just amazing, in both classical pieces and more modern music - it just makes any rock song infinitely cooler to have a violin.

I love to sing, as well. I sing while playing. It's the main reason I play guitar, so I can sing. Just wish I was better, so I would be able to play some of my favourite songs.

I'll post about the Oral tomorrow. No one cares about the oral anyway :P

OK, done philosophising about Life, the Universe and Everything.

Quote:


"Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it."


~ The philosophy of Wen the Eternally Surprised, from Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett


Always thought that, for all the jokes of these books, they often managed to be surprisingly beautiful.


"Against one perfect moment, the centuries beat in vain" ~ Wen

No comments:

Post a Comment